PLAN YOUR WINTER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES!
During the early winter, our bike trails are closed until frozen. Please check here before planning to bike the Wildlands.
The Wildlands enjoyed unprecedented use in 2020-21 as the pandemic spurred all of us to spend more time outdoors. We are very proud of the diverse experiences that the Wildlands offers, and ask your help to ensure all visitors have a positive experience while protecting this public resource.
New this year:
- Expanded parking at the Dead River Gate, with a new vault toilet
- New signs to help with navigation and defining trail uses
- The Stuart Gross trail to the Great Pond Mountain summit continues to be re-built as a sustainable hiker-only trail. This has led to the closure of the lower section of the old Jeep Trail (a badly eroded fall-line ditch for much of it)
- The southern portion of Connector Trail (.5 mile from the Mountain Trailhead to the Upper & Lower Capstone junction), is, for bicycles, an “ascent only” route
- There is now a prohibition on bicycles above Katahdin Overlook. For this reason, there are also active plans to extend the Capstone Trail from Katahdin Overlook (top of Capstone) back to the North end of Connector trail
Please respect trail signage and do not take bicycles to the summit.
GPMCT is a small nonprofit organization that relies on volunteers. Increased use has meant increased expenses. Please support our work by donating to the “iron rangers” (green metal posts with a slot in the top) every time you visit and consider making a recurring or one-time gift to Great Pond Mountain Conservation Trust. Thank you.